Life Lessons from "My Friend"

Today I have something kind of heavy on my heart, and it’s such an important topic that I really wanted to share my experience to hopefully, somehow, help someone else who may be reading this. So, three days ago, I woke up to a text, not a phone call, but just a text, from my neighbor, Mr., who I’m going to refer to as Mr. It said he was going to California and would be back in a couple weeks, which would be super cool if it wasn’t for what I read next. He left me instructions on how much to feed his pet guinea pig and told me to “check” on his girlfriend who I'll refer to as "My Friend". My Friend is 70 years of age and just got out of the hospital for dementia-related issues. At first, I wasn’t too bothered since I was going to call him and make sure he had other people to help check on her. However, when I called he didn’t answer, and when I looked for his car, it was gone and so was he! I was pretty annoyed and a little confused at this point, but I thought I could handle it.

Within about 30 minutes of me being awake, "My Friend" was knocking on my window with no shoes on and telling me she was confused about why "Mr." wasn’t back yet. When I tried to tell her, she kept insisting that he had already gone to California and was supposed to be back by now. After going back and forth trying to explain the situation to her, I realized she was a lot worse off since she had initially gone to the hospital. I immediately felt overwhelmed and not sure if I would be able to handle the dilemma. She had recently been to a place where they could could give her 24/7 care, and "Mr." had informed me on how much he had to fight to bring her home— he told me her kids were trying to “put her away” and insisted that he wasn’t going to let that happen. I was glad he had brought her home, but now I’m wondering why in the world he brought her home and took off to California.

So, I walked her back into her apartment and wrote my phone number on a big sheet of paper and told her I had to go see my parents and to call me if she needed me. About an hour later, I was enjoying spending time with my mom and dad in the local hardware store, and she called me and said she needed me to come but couldn't or wouldn't say why. I apologized to my parents, who are the same age as her, and who I don’t get to see every day, and told them I needed to go check on "My Friend".

When I walked into her apartment, she was just sitting there looking really upset and said she didn’t feel right and didn’t know what to do. She told me she didn’t have any clean clothes. I could see that her hair looked as if it had not been washed in quite a while. I ran home and got her some of my clothes and went back over and asked if she would like to take a shower— when she said, “Yes!”— I could tell my offer seemed to perk her up a little. I went into the bathroom with her but quickly realized she was unsteady, and she couldn’t get the water temperature just right for her liking. I told her not to worry and that I would help her. I helped her into the shower and washed her hair and put my super soft PJ’s on her. She was so grateful and said she felt like a human being again. She smiled at me which made my heart melt. Afterwards, we went to the grocery store and getting out of her apartment and into the sunshine and nice weather made her appear happier than I’d seen her in a while. We grabbed plenty of food and other essentials I knew she needed.

When I left her that night, she kept thanking me and telling me she loved me. Her simple gesture of gratitude made me feel so good just to have been able to help her out and make her day.

When I got home, I realized there was no way I could be there for her as much as she required and needed so I called "Mr." and told him he was going to have to come home. I had never been around anyone with dementia for a long period of time, and after being with her that day I had a whole new respect for caregivers and for their loved ones, and even more so, a lot of compassion for those suffering with dementia. I want to end this post by saying, “Life is precious … I’m going to hug my parents tighter and spend more time with them while I’m lucky enough to do so! 

Thank you, "My Friend" … I’ll never forget you or what this experience has taught me. I love you, too!  πŸ’•πŸ’—πŸ’™πŸ’œ            


 Image Source: <a href="https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/young-woman-holding-elderly-woman-s-hand_4835332.htm#query=elderly%20care&position=17&from_view=keyword&track=ais">Image by jcomp</a> on Freepik 

Comments

Popular Posts